Saturday, July 17, 2010

Mini-Review Moonlight by. Rachel Hawthorne

 
Title: Moonlight    
Author: Rachel Hawthorne
Age Range: 12+
Publication Date: March 3, 2009
Pages: 263
Genre: Paranormal, Romance
Rating: 9/10

Synopsis from Goodreads: I see him and knows what this turmoil inside of me means: He's the one. My forever. KAYLA is the nature lover, the all-American beauty who can't understand why she's so drawn to distant, brooding Lucas. Adopted as a young child, she has no way of knowing that she's inherited a terrifying-and thrilling-gene that will change her life forever. LUCAS is dangerous, gorgeous ... and a werewolf. As leader of the Dark Guardians, shape-shifters who gather deep within the state park, he has sworn to protect his pack. But when Lucas finds his true soul mate, his love could put them all in harm's way. As Lucas and Kayla struggle with their feelings for each other, a greater danger lurks: Humans have discovered the Dark Guardians and are planning their destruction. Kayla must choose between the life she knows and the love she feels certain is her destiny.

Mini-Review: When I first heard Rachel Hawthorne was dabbling in the brook of the paranormal, I immediately became excited. I love Rachel Hawthorne for her romantic comedies, and was eager to see how she would channel her romance writing ways into the paranormal. And she did it masterfully. I considered Moonlight to have that "light read" aspect that I love in romantic comedies with the same impact, intensity, mysterious aspect of what makes a great paranormal read. 

The romance and the paranormal blended so nicely in this book I can't even analyze them separately. Lucas was the bad boy authority figure, but something different about Lucas is that he wasn't a complete jerk. He was reserved and quiet, and always around that dark corner, but didn't fit the mean or rude stereotype of the bad boy. 

All together, I love this book and really really can't wait to get my hands on the rest of the series. I have to admit the plot line was a little bit predictable, but not to the point that the book got boring. The other books in the series focus on the other characters that were featured in the book which is something I am starting to love in series. The romance was perfect, the plot line was great, and the characters were fun. Overall, great paranormal book!

Recommendations:  I recommend this book to all paranormal romance lovers, or those who are just fans of romance. And if you have read any other of Rachel Hawthorne's books, you must read this one because in my opinion it tops them all!!!
  

Overall: 9/10 
Characters: 10/10 
Plot: 10/10
Originality: 9/10 
Entertainment: 10/10 
Ending: 9/10 
Writing Style: 10/10 
Cover: 8/10

1 comments:

Mei said...

I enjoyed this one too, and thought that the werewolf mythos was just a little bit different.
Can't wait for the sequal. :)