Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Review: Don't Die Dragonfly by. Linda Joy Singleton

Title: Don't Die Dragonfly
Author: Linda Joy Singleton
Age Range: 11+
Publication Date: May 5, 2009, Point
Pages: 288
Genre: Paranormal, Romance
Rating: 8/10 

Synopsis from Goodreads: After getting kicked out of school and sent to live with her grandmother, Sabine Rose is determined to become a "normal" teenage girl. She hides her psychic powers from everyone, even from her grandmother Nona, who also has "the gift." Having a job at the school newspaper and friends like Penny Love, a popular cheerleader, have helped Sabine fit in at her new school. She has even managed to catch the eye of the adorable Josh DeMarco. Yet, Sabine can't seem to get the bossy voice of Opal, her spirit guide, out of her head... or the disturbing images of a girl with a dragonfly tattoo. Suspected of a crime she didn't commit, Sabine must find the strength to defend herself and, later, save a friend from certain danger.

Review: Extremely pleasant surprise. Three words that perfectly describe what reading this book was like for me. I hate to sound shallow when it comes to the books I read, but I was hesitant to read this book just because of the lack of reviews and "buzz" for it. I hope I never, never make that mistake again. Don't Die Dragonfly, the first book in Linda Joy Singleton's Seers series was a great first installment that introduced great characters, and created a romance and paranormal filled story which I am eager to read more about it in the next book!

Sabine's life is in a really sucky state right now. She was kicked out of her old school and feels like she is the blame for the death of a student at her last school. But after moving in with a relative, she is now determined to put her past, as well as her psychic abilities behind her. Until she has no choice but to use them again. Sabine was an okay character in my opinion. I know she has a hard past, but she seemed to eager to just forget about the whole thing instead of learn from it which would have helped her a lot more. I have to say that my favorite character was Dominic. Even though he was more of a supporting character and wasn't the male love interest, he was still a great character to have. And his background made him a far more interesting character to me. I'd like to see his character get more page time in the other books!

I would describe this books as a great combination between a mystery and paranormal. There was romance, but I wasn't particularly interested in the male love interest so it didn't play such a large role to me. But besides that I loved everything about the plot. The mystery is intensified my Sabine's psychic abilities which add extra clues and suspense to the mystery parts of the book.

I really enjoyed reading this book. As I said it was a pleasant surprise. I can't wait to get started on the rest of the series!

Recommendations: I think this is a great book for those who love paranormal and mystery books but still want a light read.


Overall: 8/10 

Characters: 8/10 
Plot: 9/10
Originality: 7/10 
Entertainment: 8/10 
Ending: 8/10 
Writing Style: 8/10 
Cover: 10/10

0 comments: