Friday, July 16, 2010

Review: Claire de Lune by. Christine Johnson

Title: Claire de Lune   
Author: Christine Johnson
Age Range: 11+
Publication Date: May 18, 2010, Simon Pulse
Pages: 336
Genre: Paranormal, Romance
Rating: 7/10


Synopsis from GoodreadsTorn between two destinies? Claire is having the perfect sixteenth birthday. Her pool party is a big success, and gorgeous Matthew keeps chatting and flirting with her as if she's the only girl there. But that night, she discovers something that takes away all sense of normalcy: she's a werewolf. As Claire is initiated into the pack of female werewolves, she must deal not only with her changing identity, but also with a rogue werewolf who is putting everyone she knows in danger. Claire's new life threatens her blossoming romance with Matthew, whose father is leading the werewolf hunt. Now burdened with a dark secret and pushing the boundaries of forbidden love, Claire is struggling to feel comfortable in either skin. With her lupine loyalty at odds with her human heart, she will make a choice that will change her forever?

Initial Reaction: "Will I ever get tired of werewolf books, I seriously doubt it!"
Ending Reaction: "Gosh, it took forever to get into this book. At least the ending made it worth it!"

Review: The whole premise of Claire de Lune really intrigued me to no end when I first heard of it. A book about werewolves, that are only female claimed a place on my wish list before I even saw the cover. But I'm sorry to say this book fell flat of my expectations. 

The book starts off with Claire discovering she and her mother are werewolves. She immediately feels animosity towards her mother for keeping such a huge secret from her, but finds solace in her new guy friend Matthew. I loved the idea of this book entirely, but to me, the execution felt just too slow for my liking. I feel like the majority of the book was one long prologue and introduction. That was good in the way that it helped some of the characters develop more, and increased the anticipation I suppose, but nothing really happened. The plot and the wonder of who was doing the killings just kept spreading further and further throughout the book with little progress. But towards the end when the book finally kicked into action, it was well worth the wait. Though I feel like the book was a bit stretched and went at a really slow pace.

The romance I hate to say, was also not all I wanted it to be. Matthew seemed the play the generic great boyfriend, understanding type, but really there was nothing quite distinguishable about him. He sort of blandly fit the role of the male love interest, without being his own character.

The ending I have to say was when the book finally kicked into high gear. There were the fight scenes I had been waiting for, and the action, and the ending that really put a satisfied grin on my face. Loyalties were testing, schemes were planned and it was everything I expected of this book from the beginning. 

All in all I think this book was okay. I could see it going on the have a sequel as well as it staying as a stand alone.

Recommendations: I recommend this book to werewolf lovers!

Overall: 7/10 
Characters: 5/10 
Plot: 7/10
Originality: 7/10 
Entertainment: 8/10 
Ending: 9/10 
Writing Style: 7/10 
Cover: 9/10

2 comments:

Blueicegal ♥ said...

aww man its a shame you got into it late, Ive been hearing the same things actually thanks for the honesty!

YA Book Queen said...

I'm sorry it took you a bit to get into it. I've got to admit, the romance wasn't really what I expected too, I didn't really think Matthew was that interesting. Nice review!