Thursday, December 31, 2009

Review: Truly, Madly by. Heather Webber (last post of 2009)


Title: Truly, Madly                                Author: Heather Webber
Age Range: 15+
Publication Date: February 2, 2010
Pages: 320
Series: stand alone title, other titles by author: The Nina Quinn Mystery Series
Rating: 9/10

Synopsis from Goodreads: Meet Lucy Valentine; sassy, fabulously original…and psychic.

Lucy hails from a long line of matchmakers known as Valentine INC. According to family legend, the Valentines have been blessed by Cupid with the ability to help couples find true love. Trouble is Lucy’s powers were zapped away by an electrical surge and now all she can find are lost objects.

But what good is that in the matchmaking world?

Lucy is about to find out when she tries to solve a murder and winds up falling
into a romance of her own. 



Review:  Heather Webber combines a great suspence filled mystery, a casual romance, and a spunky main character that had me rooting for her in all aspects of the book!!! 

I am not usually a mystery reader, they tend to annoy me a great deal. With all the useless clues, and annoying detectives making annoying deductions, I'd rather stick to CSI, but this book changed my mind.  The reason I usually detest mystery and suspence books so much  is because I can usually predict the ending from a mile away. But in Truly Madly I still couldn't guess let alone believe the ending even a page after the huge revelation was revealed. It was completely unexpected and it didn't seem off or unrealistic, it pulled the book together and had me kicking myself for not guessing it sooner.

The romance in this book was fun to read about. You have that intially hot attraction between Lucy and Sean, and that building attraction between them throughout the book.  With unexpected occurences coming from Lucy's unusual ability invloving Sean, and the fact that Sean is a super hot former figher fighter, you can't help but love these two together.

I could really see Lucy grow and transform and become confortable in her own skin and with who she is. In the beginning of the book, I didn't think I would like Lucy's character at all. She was nice enough, but just such a pessimist. I mean in the beginning of the book, she never thought of her abilities as a gift, but more of a curse, adn she used that to pretty much justify everything in her life.  And the so called family curse that has been plauging her family since the beginning of their family tree seems to be the only thing she talks about. How do you get on with life if your letting the past control your future (wow, what a cliche thing to say, but true). I thought her pessimistic view on her life would annoy me throughout the book; it didn't. She went from thinking her abilities were what made her a huge freak to taking charge of a murder investigation and putting aside her family curse to have her own romantic experience. She really takes charge by the end of the book, and becomes a favorite character for me. 

Truly, Madly is a great read for all those looking for a light read that will leave an impact, and just a mystery suspence book, or romantic read. (Just so you guys know this isn't typically a Young Adult book, but I think it would still be a great read for Young Adult readers. There are little sexual refrences but nothing too graphic).

Characters: 9/10
Plot:
9/10
Originality:
10/10
Entertainment:
10/10
Ending:
10/10
Writing Style:
8/10
Cover:
7/10
Total: 9/10
 

8 comments:

Liz @ Cleverly Inked said...

I have heard fab things about this one.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Jake Kirk@Teens Read and Write said...

I like mysteries. Thanks for the heads up. Sounds fun!

Nina said...

Sounds like a fab book! :)

Jenn (Books At Midnight) said...

Great review! I admit that I'm not into mysteries that much for the same reason, and I'm glad this one was unexpected but still believable. Thanks for the heads up! :)

Lizzy said...

Great review! I've heard pretty good things about this one, and I'm a fan of quirky mysteries. I'll have to check this one out.

Unknown said...

I came over from Book Blogs! I am now following you.
Heather
http://www.ratherbechangingdiapers.com/

The Sweet Bonjour said...

Nice review :) This looks interesting x