Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Review: Being Nikki by. Meg Cabot

Title: Being Nikki (Airhead, #2)
Author: Meg Cabot
Age Range: 13+
Publication Date: May 5, 2009, Point
Pages: 336
Genre: Contemporary, Science Fiction
Rating: 8.5/10 
 Synopsis from Goodreads: Things aren't pretty for Emerson Watts.Em was sure there couldn't be anything worse than being a brainiac the body of a teenage supermodel.But it turned out she was wrong. Because that supermodel could turn out to have a mother who's gone mysteriously missing, a brother who's shown up on her doorstep demanding answers, a former best friend who's intent on destroying Stark Enterprises to avenge the death of his lost love, and a British heartthrob who's written a song about her that's topping the charts. How can Em balance all that with school, runway shows, and weekend jaunts to St. Johns — especially when she's got ex-boyfriends crawling out of the woodwork who want more than just a photo op; a sister who is headed to the high school cheerleading championships; a company she represents that seems to be turning to the dark side... Not to mention trying to convince the love of her life that models aren't really airheads after all...especially one model in particular. But then, nobody said it was going to be easy being Nikki.

Review: I was really intrigued with the first book in Meg Cabot's Airhead series. I can honestly say my expectations of this series (since I was expecting a chick lit novel) were eliminated after reading the first book, and completely demolished after reading Being Nikki. This book brings out more of the science fiction and harsh side of the novels and this new life Emma Watts or the "new" Nikki Howard is forced to deal with, while still trying to hold on to a shred of her "past life".

I think this book surpassed the first in whole new ways. And for me that is exactly what I look forward to when reading the second book in a series. What I loved about this book was Emma's growth. I hate to say it but becoming a model, or puppet if you prefer, finally gave Emma the backbone she needed if she was going to push forward despite her new life holding her back. I loved the new role Christopher played  in this book which I was really excited about.  And thank gosh he wasn't so totally annoyingly oblivious in this book as he was in the first book. 

I was content with the book being about the struggles of being transported into a supermodel's body, trying to uncover the truth about Stark Enterprises, and figuring a way for your former best friend to believe that she is still his best friend whom he is in love with. That whole plot was enough to leave me on the edge of anticipation throughout the book. But at the end of the book, throw all of those in and a huge twist that even I didn't see coming (despite the numerous foreshadowing), and you have a series that just keeps on giving more. 

I love this series. I think Meg Cabot never disappoints no matter what genre she decides to venture into for each of her books. I can't wait to read Runaway since I suspect it to be just as good as the rest of her books!

Recommendations:  Those who read the first book, whether you liked it or not, should read this since I think it step up over the first in a big way. All fan of Meg Cabot's other books should also give this series a try!

Overall: 8.5/10 

Characters: 8/10 
Plot: 10/10
Originality: 10/10 
Entertainment: 8/10 
Ending: 10/10 
Writing Style: 10/10 
Cover: 9/10

1 comments:

LM Preston said...

I love futuristic fiction. I have to admit, this cover is disturbing...yet inviting. I'd definately pick this one up and I can't wait to read the reviews.