Saturday, September 26, 2009

In My Mailbox (1)

Wooooot!!! I am so excited to be doing my very own In My Mailbox! I have seen other bloggers do it for forever and I finally get to do my very own every week. I have to give my props to Kristi over at The Story Siren for creating this great feature. Here's what I got this week:

  Swapped Books

Title:Jason and Kyra
Author: Dana Davidson
Publication Date: July 2005, Hyperion
Genre: African American, Romance
Pages: 330 

Jason is a basketball star and one of the most popular guys in school. Brainy Kyra isn't, but she doesn't much care what other people think. Under normal circumstances, Jason and Kyra would live in their separate worlds until graduation. But fate intervenes, and the unlikely duo is paired up for a class project. Although preconceived notions abound on both sides, Kyra soon realizes that Jason is not the dumb jock she anticipated. And Jason finds himself telling Kyra things he can't even tell his best friend. As the two become close and eventually start to fall in love, no one in school can believe it, especially Jason's ex-girlfriend, who is determined to get him back. Being together means navigating the obstacles that are coming their way-but staying apart may be impossible. 


I was so excited when I got this book. There isnt many young adult books with African Americans that doesn't stereotype the characters into the generic outfit of what a black teenager is like. And its romance, added excitment!!!



Title: A Song For Summer
Author: Eva Ibbotson
Publication Date: October 2007
Genre: Historical, Romance
Pages: 376

Eighteen-year-old ellen never expected the Hallendorf school to be, well, quite so unusual. After all, her life back in england with her suffragette mother and liberated aunts certainly couldn't be called normal. but buried deep in the beautiful Austrian countryside, ellen discovers an eccentric world occupied by wild children and even wilder teachers, experimental dancers and a tortoise on wheels. And then there is the particurally intriguing, enigmatic, and very handsome Marek, part-time gardener and fencing teacher. ellen is instantly attracted to the mysterious gardener, but Hitler's reich is already threatening their peaceful world. only when she discovers Marek's true identity and his dangerous mission does ellen realize the depth of her feelings for him—and the danger their newfound love faces in the shadow of war.


I read another one of Eva's books, A Countess Below Stairs,  and it was okay, but this one actually sounds better so I am willing to give historical fiction another chance!!!

 For Review


Title: Poison Study
Author: Maria V. Snyder
Publication Date: July 2005, Harlequin Teen 
Genre: Historical
Pages: 407


She'll eat the best meals, have rooma in the palace--and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia.

And so Yelena chooses to become a food taster. But the chief of security, leaving nothing to chance, deliberately feeds her Butterfly's Dust--and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonizing death from the poison.

As Yelena tries to escape her new dilemma, disasters keep mounting. Rebels plot to seize Ixia and Yelena develops magical powers she can't control. Her life is threatened again and choices must be made. But this time the outcomes aren't so clear...


I am so excited to read this book, it sounds so cool and it has such an orginal plotline. Thank you Harlequin Teen!!! 


Thats all for this week. It was a great for my first In My Mailbox. I can't wait to read and review all of them!!! 






5 comments:

the story siren said...

awesome books this week! love maria v. snyder! hope you enjoy! happy reading!

So Many Books, So Little Time said...

Poison Study was okay, I thought the series got better as it went on. Hope you enjoy it though!

Lizzy said...

I love Maria V Snyder, hope you enjoy her books (the series does get better as it goes on). Happy reading!

Chioma said...

Thanks, I was really excited I heard so much about Maria V Snyder, I was so excited when i finally recieved on of her books!!!

YA Book Queen said...

I've heard Eva Ibbotson is a great author, but I haven't read her books yet. Can't wait to see your thoughts on this great bunch of books!