Monday, November 23, 2009

Review: Beautiful Creatures by. Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl


Title: Beautiful Creatures                                             
Author: Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
Reading Level: 12+
Publication Date: December 2009
Pages: 563
Series: Yes!!! Hopefully there will be a sequal.
Rating: 10/10  I know its rare!!!

Synopsis: There were no surprises in Gatlin County.
We were pretty much the epicenter of the middle of nowhere.
At least, that's what I thought.
Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong.
There was a curse.
There was a girl.
And in the end, there was a grave.

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.


Review:  I began reading this book with very high expectations, which usually isn't a good thing because it sets me up for dissapointment, but not in this case. Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl did not dissapoint with this enchanting tale of finding love in the dull town you wish to escape, and discovering that this dull town holds secrets you never dreamed of.
            First of all, this books was in a male perspective. Which from the begginning made me hesitant to read it. Nothing against guys, but I always thought a book would always be better told from a girls point of view. But not in this book, I cant imagine Beautiful Creatures being as great as it was without being told in Ethan's point of view. In romances, especially paranormal romances, there is always that aspect of the tall mysterious male love interest throughout the book. That is not lost in this book, as the mysterious male interest is now a female. I ended up loving Ethan from the beginning. His attitude towards his town, the death of the his mom, and his new love interest is fun to follow throughought the story. He was the most relatable character for me throughout the book. Lena was spectacular. She was a real herorine. Very mysterious and closed up, with a new secrect uncovered every chapter. Macon I still have to say is my favorite character. Although his isn't a main character, I couldnt help but love Lena's uncle throughout the story.
             From the beginning to the end there isn't a dull moment in this book. There is always something going on, always a new part of the mystery to unfold, and Ethan finds out the small and boring town that he grew up in isn't as it once seemed to him. From the newfound beings he discovers, to the magical powers and developments in Lena, this book is filled with new intrigue.
           The ending of this book was nothing short of phe·nom·e·nal!!! You think the rest of the book is good, get ready to be even more amazed as even more action comes in the ending. I cannot count how many times I gasped in shock, in the last few chapters. Back and forth between the new and old characters secrets revealed, identitys revealed, and shocking betrayals. The end left me falling off my bed, and desperate for a sequal.
          In the end, I know for sure this book will remain one of my favorites forever. I loved reading it all the way through, and will continue re-reading and re-reading until the sequal comes out (I have heard different things on whether or not there is going to be a sequal, so cross those fingers!!!). I reccommend this book to all fans of paranormal, romantic, suspence, and a book that will wow and amaze you days, weeks, months after you have finished reading it!!!



Characters: 10/10
Plot: 10/10
Originality: 10/10
Entertainment: 10/10
Ending: 10/10
Writing Style: 10/10
Cover: 10/10
Total: 10/10





 



4 comments:

Liz @ Cleverly Inked said...

I so wanted to read this. Your review makes it even more exciting.. Guess I am going to the bookstore

June G said...

I found your site on Book Blogs. I've been trying to make up my mind about reading this book and your review clenched it for me. I can't wait to see if I'm as excited about it as you are!

Jenn (Books At Midnight) said...

Wow, what an overwhelmingly positive review! I just got Beautiful Creatures today in the mail, and you made me even more hyped to read it. Can't wait! :)
And thanks for the awesome review!

YA Book Queen said...

Whoa! I must go get this book soon because I keep reading rave reviews! Thank you for the amazing reviews!