Monday, June 21, 2010

Review: The Reckoning by. Kelley Armstrong

Title: The Reckoning                                                Author: Kelley Armstrong
Age Range: 13+
Publication Date: April 6, 2010
Pages: 391
Genre: Paranormal, Romance
Rating: 8/10

Synopsis from Goodreads: Only two weeks ago, life was all too predictable. But that was before I saw my first ghost. Now, along with my supernatural friends Tori, Derek, and Simon, I’m on the run from the Edison Group, which genetically altered us as part of their sinister experiment. We’re hiding in a safe house that might not be as safe as it seems. We’ll be gone soon anyway, back to rescue those we’d left behind and to take out the Edison Group . . . or so we hope.


Initial Thought:  "Nooo, why oh why must this series end. I still can't wait to read it!!!"
End Thought: "I loved it. I might just write a letter to the author so I can get at least one of my questions answered."

Review: I couldn't wait at all to read this book. Right after I finished The Awakening I knew I had to read The Reckoning immediately. I had to read it so bad that I ended up betraying my morals and reading the book on my friends e-reader. I know, shame, but it was so worth it. The plot line of the Darkest Powers series deepens and thickens so much in this book. And so many new aspects of Chloe, Derek, Simon, and Tori's past is revealed and the role they play in this book is so extensive that I am coming out of this series with a lot more questions than I went into it with. 

The plot in this book is far more intense, fast paced, and all in all more interesting than the other books. This book introduced and really developed many parts of the series I was hoping to learn more about. But as true as that was, the way the plot thickened and different parts were developing, I had no idea how it could possibly be the last book in the series and until the end of the book, I still felt the same way. Many of the secrets of the Edison group and how exactly why they are out to get the "altered supernaturals" are revealed, but not as developed as I would have liked.

The romance is amplified 100% in this third book, and I was definitely happy to see that. I really don't want to give anything away, but from the beginning of the book I could feel the attraction between these two characters even as the plot became a lot more action-packed and serious.

I so desperately wanted to give this book a perfect score. I loved it that much. But that love was fresh in my mind for about 10 minutes until my brain began registering, and the immense amount of questions built up. I can't really say without spoiling the book, but they were pretty significant, maybe not that much to the main plot, but to the bunches of mini plots going on in the story as well. The book itself did not feel rushed, but the details felt rushed and overlooked, which led to many new questions, with none of them being evaluated or answered. I definitely believe that this book could have gone on to have a fourth even fifth book, and I know I would have been more satisfied with an ending that answered my questions.

In a nutshell, I loved this book. Mainly because I loved the rest of the series and it had as much strong points as a book can have. Beware though, don't come into reading this book thinking that all the answers you have from the books before or this book will be answered, you are going to have to make your own inferences regarding those.

Recommendations: All fans of the others books cannot stop at either The Awakening or The Summoning. You must read this one, it is by a long shot the best one of the series. And to all those who are on the fence about reading the series, it is definitely worth it as it combines a great new paranormal plot line, great characters, and a subtle romance, that I'm pretty sure could carve anybody's book cravings!
 
 
Characters: 9/10 
Plot: 8/10
Originality: 8/10 
Entertainment: 10/10 
Ending: 7/10 
Writing Style: 10/10 
Cover: 10/10
  

3 comments:

Audrey (holes In My brain) said...

awesome review! i agree, some parts were really amazingly awesome and some other small tidbits fell short :) this series is fantastic though!

Blueicegal ♥ said...

i loved the summoning but for some reason i fell of track and never got around to reading the sequel and its bad becuase i really enjoyed this. great review i must get back to this series!

Anonymous said...

Glad you loved it! Did you hear she's doing a second series in the same world?