Monday, June 28, 2010

Review: Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by. Beth Fantaskey

Title: Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side   Author: Beth Fantaskey
Age Range: 14+
Publication Date: February 1, 2009
Pages: 351
Genre: Paranormal, Romance
Rating: 10/10

Synopsis from GoodreadsThe undead can really screw up your senior year ...

Marrying a vampire definitely doesn’t fit into Jessica Packwood’s senior year “get-a-life” plan. But then a bizarre (and incredibly hot) new exchange student named Lucius Vladescu shows up, claiming that Jessica is a Romanian vampire princess by birth—and he’s her long-lost fiancé. Armed with newfound confidence and a copy of Growing Up Undead: A Teen Vampire’s Guide to Dating, Health, and Emotions, Jessica makes a dramatic transition from average American teenager to glam European vampire princess. But when a devious cheerleader sets her sights on Lucius, Jess finds herself fighting to win back her wayward prince, stop a global vampire war—
and save Lucius’s soul from eternal destruction.



Initial Reaction: "Oh how I loved Jekel Loves Hyde hope Beth Fantaskey doesn't disappoint."
End Reaction: "I love Jekel Loves Hyde, but I hate to admit that this book tops it hands down!"

Review: By the name alone, when reading this book I expected a romance, and somewhat of a self-help book if the chance to date a vampire ever came upon me (I'm crossing my fingers!). I got that, and much more. Chilling and thrilling at the same time, Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side was exactly what I am looking for when it comes to a paranormal romance with a "dark side".

Lucius just wants to go to America, grab his destined princess, and get back to Romania before he has a vampire war on his hands. Jessica's wants nothing to do with that. But she really can't help falling for Lucius's passionate ways and she finds herself doing her best to keep her logical way of life in tact. She has no plans to become a vampire or get in touch with her past, but she really can't control how she feels about Lucius.

Jessica, or Anastasia, was the most difficult character that could possibly be thrust into the world of the paranormal. She runs on logic, rationality, even the concept of pi baffles her, send in a Romania Prince claiming they both are vampire royalty, and you have the most conflicting romance (if you could originally call it that) possible. I really had strong thoughts about how in the world she was ever going to accept this whole vampire princess life she was so against. And Lucius, all arrogant and formal and mannerly. How boring right, wrong! His arrogance is really annoying, but he seems so passionate, so...swoon-worthy. He has that whole, I'm awesome and I know it thing going on. Its hard to really pick out what kind of couple they would make, but it sure is an interesting one!

Now down to the good stuff, the romance. The last word I would think to describe this romance would be cute. I'd go with destructive, conflicting, and hot. I could disregard the first two and just settle with hot. Who would have know that could some how spring from two such different characters. They both want what they can't have. And when they do have what they want,  they either don't want it, or can't have it. It is a very difficult, and somewhat doomed romance, but when its right, it is soooo right.

This book makes it official to me what an amazing author Beth Fantasky really is. It has officially secured her place on my "Favorite Authors" list. I can't wait to see what else she has in store for us!!!

Recommendations: I recommend this book to all those who liked Jekel Loves Hyde, even if you didn't like it, I think you should gives this book a try. To all those who love a great paranormal romance, and Vampires!!!

Try:  Jekel Loves Hyde 

   
Characters: 10/10 
Plot 10/10
Originality: 10/10 
Entertainment: 10/10 
Ending: 9/10 
Writing Style: 10/10 
Cover: 9/10

3 comments:

Natalie said...

I've heard so many great things about this one and Jekel Loves Hyde! I don't have a copy of Jessica's Guide, but I do have Jekel Loves Hyde on my bookshelf. I just haven't gotten around to reading it yet! Lol. Thanks for the review! I'm glad this book exceeded your expectations.

twentyxfragments said...

This book is truly amazing and really pulled at my heart! :) I'm glad this book got such high reviews from you. :)

Eloise said...

I've been going back and forth for a while on whether I should read this book, but your review convinced me to pick it up. :D Thanks for the suggestion!