Friday, June 11, 2010

Review: Played by Dana Davidson

Title: Played                                                       Author: Dana Davidson
Age Range: 15+
Publication Date: May 1, 2007
Pages: 240
Genre: Romance, Contemporary
Rating: 5/10

Synopsis from Goodreads: When one of Ian's boys dares him to get plain-faced Kylie Winship to sleep with him in just three weeks, he thinks it'll be a breeze. Tall and fine, with honey-colored skin and eyes, Ian is used to getting what he wants from girls. And if he succeeds in playing Kylie, he'll be down with the most popular crew in his high school. But this girl, who everyone considers a nobody, is turning out to be more surprising than he ever could have imagined. 


Initial Thought:  "I can't wait for another book by Dana Davidson!!!"
End Thought: "Wow, guys can really be cruel, and some girls really disappoint me."

Review: I had very high expectations for Played after reading Dana Davidson's incredible book Jason and Kyra. After waiting over 4 months for this book to finally become available on paperback swap, I was really disappointed with the outcome.

In this book Ian is one of the finest more popular guys in Kylie's school. And he suddenly finds interest in her. Little does she know that it is only because of a bet. A bet that consists of Ian getting Kylie to fall for him, and sleep with him, in order to be initiated into some sort of popular fraternity. If you are anything like me, you are cringing at the mere thought of a guy willing to stoop so cruelly and so low in order to be a part of a crowd.

The plot went on like any other contemporary romance, except for the opposing thoughts of the two main characters. Kylie thinking that this guy who seems so ashamed of her at school is slowing falling in love with her, and Ian thinking that he only has a limited amount of time to STEAL Kylie's virginity in order to be part of the innermost in crowd. I could never get into the romance in this book because of how cruel and fake it seemed from my perspective, but I kind of feel like that may have been the author's objective when writing this book.

Ian is a creep. He can embellish all of his feelings and motives as much as he wants, but it takes a truly cruel person to be capable of such a thing. I actually admired Kylie in the beginning of the book. She takes care of her brother and sister, is in charge of a lot of things within her household, and barely utters a complaint. But by the end of the book, I felt she was acting a little bit naive. Emotions get in the way of logic I assume.

Overall, I did not really enjoy this book. But for some reason, I think that Dana Davidson expected this to be a book that will not be welcomed as well as others since this romance didn't spring as true as the others. It may have been meant to teach a lesson, and I have to say: Message Received! 

Recommendations: I recommend this book to those who have read Dana Davidson's previous books and are looking for something different from her. To those looking for a book that will make you wonder whether or not you liked it or not. And to all those out there that love a controversial romance.

Characters: 4/10 
Plot: 7/10
Originality: 8/10 
Entertainment: 5/10 
Ending: 3/10 
Writing Style: 7/10 
Cover: 8/10

2 comments:

Steph Bowe said...

Great review!
I hadn't heard of this book before, but it sounds interesting.

Brianna Bruce said...

Great review. I appreciate your honesty about the book; it seems like an interesting premise, but after your thorough description I might think twice about reading it.