Thursday, May 27, 2010

Currently Reading...


...The Reckoning by. Kelley Armstrong. For those of you who do not know, this is the third book in Kelley Armstrong's Darkest Powers series or as I like to call it, one of my new all time favorite series...ever!!! I just finished the second book The Awakening and I had to start reading this one immediately. I was planning to wait until it came out in paperback, so it can match the other two books in the series that I own (I'm OCD like that) but if you have read this series, (and if you haven't, why in the world not), you know that it is nearly impossible to wait to read any of these books. I am already on chapter 33 and I haven't even bought the book yet!!! Yes, you heard correctly, I have not even bought it. I am ashamed to say that I was reading it via e-reader. I am ashamed to say that because I refuse to be apart of this whole  "technology destroying the book industry" conspiracy CNN keeps talking about. And I really prefer to read the normal way. But my friend had already bought this book on her mom's Nook and I we were supposed to be studying...and now I'm on chapter 33. But I refuse to go any farther than that until I buy the actually nice-paper printed copy at BN tomorrow. Anyways, here's what it is all about (may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read the rest of the series): 


Synopsis (from goodreads): If you had met me a few weeks ago, you probably would have described me  as an average teenage girl—someone normal. Now my life has changed forever and I'm as far away from normal as it gets. A living science experiment—not only can I see ghosts, but I was genetically altered by a sinister organization called the Edison Group. What does that mean? For starters, I'm a teenage necromancer whose powers are out of control; I raise the dead without even trying. Trust me, that is not a power you want to have. Ever.

Now I'm running for my life with three of my supernatural friends—a charming sorcerer, a cynical werewolf, and a disgruntled witch—and we have to find someone who can help us before the Edison Group finds us first. Or die trying.

Verdict: I am loving this book so much more than the first two, and I praised both of those books to the high heavens. This one is revved up so much more. The supernatural aspect is tripled, the action is amplified by 100, and the romance is... you just have to read it!!! I already know this is going to be my favorite of the series, I just wish I didn't have to go a whole 24 hours before continuing to read it!!!

 

4 comments:

Lane said...

AHHH! I love this series so much too! Same exact thoughts - ish.

Brianna Bruce said...

I've read a little bit of the first book, and I love it! It's so suspenseful.

Mrs. DeRaps said...

I really want to start this series. I've heard so many great things. And, the covers are awesome.

Anonymous said...

SPOILERS! Read at your own risk!


I just finished this series last night. I'm a big fan of it, but I couldn't help but be disappointed in it. I feel like there were too many points left unaddressed in the final book. Plus, it kind of just.. ended. I'm sorry, but for a trilogy, I want to see the end. Not an, "Oh, they escaped. Yay for an assumed HEA."

What's the whole story behind Dr. Banks? His two sons? I get one was psycho and killed the other, but was that a result of the experimenting? What about the other projects mentioned? What happened with the results of those? There was mention of a secret room. What happened to that? What was with the vendetta that Tori's mom had against her daughter? Surely it wasn't a just-because issue, and Tori's mom had to have known what she was getting into by opting to have a genetically enhanced child. And how's Tori and Simone gonna react to knowing they're related? What about the demi-demon?

I don't know, I could come up with so many more questions. Am I the only one? It had soooo much potential and then it just kinda... fell. I think KA spent more time worrying over the romantic developments instead of the overall plot. I loved that Chloe and Dereck got together, I was cheering for them the whole way, but I kinda wish the story felt more complete to me.

Obviously, some of these questions may be answered if I read the Otherworld series, but a trilogy should really be able to stand on its own. So overall, it was a good plot, just poorly delivered in the end.

I'm looking forward to a review on The Reckoning from you. I really want to read your final opinion on it.