Monday, May 17, 2010

Review: Rules of Attraction by. Simone Elkeles

Title: Rules of Attraction                                    Author: Simone Elkeles
Age Range: 15+
Publication Date: April 27, 2010
Pages: 304
Genre: Romance, Contemporary
Rating: 9/10

Synopsis from Goodreads: When Carlos Fuentes returns to America after living in Mexico for a year, he doesn’t want any part of the life his older brother, Alex, has laid out for him at a high school in Colorado . Carlos likes living his life on the edge and wants to carve his own path—just like Alex did. Then he meets Kiara Westford. She doesn’t talk much and is completely intimidated by Carlos’ wild ways. As they get to know one another, Carlos assumes Kiara thinks she’s too good for him, and refuses to admit that she might be getting to him. But he soon realizes that being himself is exactly what Kiara needs right now.


Initial Thought:  "I know I'm going to love this book, but no one can replace Alex in my heart."
End Thought: "Oh Carlos, Carlos, Carlos, the sweet, dangerous, all-in-one Carlos, didn't you have a brother?"

Review: Simone Elkeles has done it again creating an incredibly touching as well as smoking hot book that will have readers who read her first book in the series (Perfect Chemistry) in the debate of their lives: Alex or Carlos?

Oh where to begin, where to begin. Lets start with Kiara: I love her!!! She is such a nice, and genuine character who would do anything for her cause. Basically a pure soul who believes in only the best out of people, she is determined to tame project Carlos and she refuses to be deterred, not matter how gorgeous his smile is.  She doesn't try to change herself at all to get through to Carlos, and that's exactly what Carlos needed.

In beginning this book, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to differentiate Alex (Perfect Chemistry) from Carlos, but Simone Elkeles created a completely distinct character in Carlos that was no way a copy of Alex. Carlos lives for the thrill ride. Getting in trouble and a life on the edge is all Carlos wants for himself, and Kiara is the complete opposite. And you can tell throughout the book he is fighting his attraction to Kiara and all she represents: a stable lifestyle, while he debates what is it he really wants with his life. All the stuff that his mother sent him away from Mexico to escape, follows him to Colorado and he is forced to choose between the dangerous and deadly gang filled thrill life he is accustomed to, and the girl he is slowly falling for.

The romance in Rules of Attraction was fun and hot. Kiara and Carlos are such a fun pair to put together in a romance because they are so incredibly different in every single way. But at the same time they compliment each other. Carlos brings out the small wild and fiery part of Kiara that is always hidden and Kiara brings out the caring and vulnerable part of Carlos he tries so hard to hide. Their personalities mesh together into something so sweet and powerful. It is as if being together, they have both made this huge triumph for themselves. The question is, will it last?

Overall, I am ecstatic that Simone Elkeles created a book that combined her usual writing styles that I know and love with a different plot and equally incredible book. This book was a great addition to the Perfect Chemistry series and has me even more excited about all of Simone Elkeles future projects!

Recommendations: I recommend this book to all those who are fans of Simone Elkeles other books, Perfect Chemistry, great romances, and a book that you will never be able to stop re-reading!


Characters: 10/10 
Plot: 9/10
Originality: 10/10 
Entertainment: 10/10 
Ending: 10/10 
Writing Style: 10/10 
Cover: 10/10

9 comments:

Unknown said...

YEAH wonderful review, I LOVED LOVED this one too...your soo right Simone is awesome, I cant WAIT for her next book!

Mrs. DeRaps said...

Can't wait to read this one. It should be landing in my mailbox any day!

Alyson Greene said...

I just started Perfect Chemistry, but I'm having trouble getting into it. Please convince me it's worth slogging through.

Christina T said...

Fantastic review! I am now a devoted Simone Elkeles fan after reading Perfect Chemistry, Rules of Attraction, and Leaving Paradise. I can't wait to read her other books.

Chioma said...

@Alyson: I know it can start out a little slow because Simone Elkeles develops her characters more in the beginning of the book. But by the middle when the plot really starts to kick in, trust me, you'll love it!!! Enjoy the rest of your reading!!!

Maria said...

I cannot wait to get my hands on this one. After loving Perfect Chemistry and Leaving Paradise I'm an Elkeles fan :) Great review!

Anonymous said...

I don't think I'll be reading this one.

Here's the thing: I love books. Love 'em. And I know you can't give up half way into them. So when I pick something up to read, no matter how slow it is, I force myself through because I KNOW some of the best books are those that take a while to build up to the main plot.

That's why, after reading all the praise, Perfect Chemistry was such a disappointment. I'd say it's on par with Harlequin Romance novels. That's not a bad thing, but I just need more. I don't like to be able to predict what'll happen. I personally found all of the characters overtly shallow, no matter how hard Elkeles tried to make Brittany seem like a great girl and Alex as some tortured soul looking out for his family's best interests. It's just a bit too cheesy for me.

Maybe if I was a little younger, I'd had liked this more. But I think I've been exposed to better writing since my high school days and I have a higher standard now. Who knows?

Hannah S. said...

Your reviews always really hit exactly what I was thinking!
Great review!
Love, Hannah

Brianna Bruce said...

Great review! I love the cover, oh my goodness. It's so romantic! "Swoon* I'm going to have to read this : )