Sunday, April 25, 2010

Review: Wherever Nina Lies by. Lynn Weingarten

Title: Wherever Nina Lies                                       Author: Lynn Weingarten
Age Range: 13+
Publication Date: February 1, 2009
Pages: 288
Genre: Mystery, Romance
Rating: 8/10

Synopsis from Goodreads: Nina was beautiful, artistic, wild . . . and adored by her younger sister, Ellie. But one day, without any warning, Nina disappeared.

Two years later, Ellie can't stop thinking about her sister. Although everyone else has given up hope that Nina will return, Ellie just knows her sister is out there, somewhere. If only Ellie had a clue where to look.

And then she gets one, in the form of a mysterious drawing tucked into the pages of a book. Determined to find her sister, Ellie takes off on a crazy, sexy, cross-country road trip with the only person who believes she's got a chance -- her hot, adventurous new crush.

Along the way, Ellie finds a few things she wasn't planning on. Like love.
Mysteries. Lies. And something far ore shocking -- the truth. 



Initial Reaction: "Hmm a romantic mystery...this could be interesting"
End Reaction: "WoooW!!! I did not see that coming, I still can't believe it!!!"

Review: I am officially addicted...to mystery books. What book is it that caused my sudden relapse in this addiction (which I got over after I read every single Nancy Drew book), Wherever Nina Lies by. Lynn Weingarten. This book is so compelling, that I couldn't help but get sucked in after the first few chapters. The mystery and intrigue begins from the very beginning and plays out like a mystery game, where you use the clues you are given throughout the book to try and make your own conclusion on the ultimate question: is Nina dead?

The book is told through Nina's little sister Ellie, whom after 2 years still has not given up the will to find her sister and the hope that she is still somewhere out there. And once she finds 1 clue, just one little thing that adds to her reassurance that her sister is still out there, she sets out on a rode trip in search of her. And what memento accompanies her on her instantaneous desire to drive to another state in search of her missing sister; a hot guy whom she has known for two days. But you know, finding yourself suddenly a little closer to solving the mystery of your missing sister will cloud your judgement that way.

I admire Ellie's character so much. I mean many people might have gave up or lost hope of ever seeing their loved one again, but Ellie never really gave up in trying to find her sister. And she chose not to let anything come in the way of her figuring out what happened. I could really tell that throughout the book, it wasn't only about finding her sister. It was about restoring the faith in someone she had admired her whole life, finding an answer to how,  if her sister was still alive, how she could just abandon her and their mother in that way. 

Overall, I loved this book. I loved it so much because it made me think. It really was like a game where you use the clues to come up with your own conclusion while comparing it to what the main character's is coming up with. It was a fun, emotional, and still very deep mystery book that I will definitely be re-reading over and over again.

Recommendations: I recommend this book to all mystery lovers, and romance junkies!!!

Characters: 9/10 
Plot: 9/10
Originality: 9/10 
Entertainment: 8/10 
Ending: 10/10 
Writing Style: 9/10 
Cover: 10/10

 If You Like This, You Might Enjoy...
1-800-Where-R-U Series by. Meg Cabot
Dead is the New Black Series by. Marlene Perez 

6 comments:

Blueicegal ♥ said...

Ooooh sounds really good! great review! :)

Nina said...

Mystery isn't my favourite genre and I wasn't that all eager to read this book. But your awesome review made me think twice, first it got my name in the title (COOL) and second I do like a book that makes you think. :)

Lizzy said...

Great review! I'd seen this one on a few blogs, but I picked up a copy because I hadn't read any reviews. I'm a big fan of mysteries, too. Your review convinced me to read it haha

Jenna said...

I own this one, but I still haven't read it. This will be my first mystery book (Boxcar Children does not count), so I'm looking forward to it.

Great review!

Hannah S. said...

Awesome!
It's especially cool since this IS out in paperback now.
Seriously, though, books are my life, but my wallet seems to always be empty!
Excellent review!

Love, Hannah

Okapi said...

That's a great review! I love your 'before' and 'after' comments. It sounds like a great mystery, and i'm adding it into my accumulating to-read pile.

My blog: http://thesmartyowl.blogspot.com/