Saturday, April 3, 2010

Review: Jekel Loves Hyde by. Beth Fantaskey

Title: Jekel Loves Hyde                                          Author: Beth Fantaskey
Age Range: 14+
Publication Date: May 3, 2010
Pages: 288
Genre: Paranormal, Romance, Suspence
Rating: 10/10

Synopsis from Goodreads: Jill Jekel has always obeyed her parents’ rules – especially the one about never opening the mysterious, old box in her father’s office. But when her dad is murdered, and her college savings disappear, she's tempted to peek inside, as the contents might be key to a lucrative chemistry scholarship.

To better her odds, Jill enlists the help of gorgeous, brooding Tristen Hyde, who has his own dark secrets locked away. As the team of Jekel and Hyde, they recreate experiments based on the classic novel, hoping not only to win a prize, but to save Tristen’s sanity. Maybe his life. But Jill’s accidental taste of a formula unleashes her darkest nature and compels her to risk everything – even Tristen’s love – just for the thrill of being… bad.


Review: I am not going to say I loved this book, because that would be too much of a huge understatement and would not do this book justice. Jekel Loves Hyde is definately my favorite read of 2010. So far I have not found any books that can even match it. When I started this book I was expected a new take on the old tale of Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde,  but this book was truly an original that used the original novel to build up into an unforgettable book.

Jill Jekel's father was recently murdered and her world is falling apart around her. Soon she finds that entering and winning a Chemistry competition is the only way for her to even begin to construct her new future without every part of her life crumbling before her, and in order to win she must ask for the assistance of Tristen Hyde, a loner with a dark secret of his own.

Although you may not think it from the way Jill is depicted throughout the book, she is a very strong character. Though she is shy and quiet and somewhat of a loner, she is still a strong female lead, without being the courageous outspoken girl in some usual YA books. She is left without a father, a mother who is slowly falling apart, and no college tuition, but she still finds a way to stay strong and do what she has to do to go on. 

Tristen was strong, dreamy, and incredible annoying. I understood before I started the book that Tristen was battling his own inner demons, but man, he was so bossy, and arrogant and not at all the dream bad boy I was expecting. But I learned to sympathize with him, since in a way him and Jill were in the same situation, and needed each other to pretty much survive.

Hotness!!! The romance between Tristen and Jill was so hot, yet incredibly sweet. You can tell that they are both so torn apart inside that they feel like a romance and love is completely out of the question, but they really can't help it. They are somewhat obligated to one another before they even begin to get to know one another to the point that working together just works to intensify their attraction, even though neither of them want it. 

There was so much going on in this book without it being confusing. It sort of felt like a three part suspence thriller. The plot was very well developed and included vital turing points that caused plot twists and shifts, that made me rethink my original predictions of the book through the entire book. It kept me interested in every way.

The ending was wonderful. Everything came together and it answered all my questions perfectly. It gave me closure for this book, which is something very important to me when I read a book. I know I said I wouldn't say it, but I'm saying it, I loved this book. It is definately my favorite of 2010 so far. I feel like I should honor it with some kind of amazing awesomeness award, but I'll think of something. I was really surprised I enjoyed this book as much as I did despite all the somewhat negitive reviews I read on it. Overally, it is definately an emotional, engaging book that is more than worth reading!!!

I Recommend: this book to EVERYONE. Whatever your preference, romance, suspence, mystery, contemporary, paranormal, this book will satisfy all of your book cravings!!! 


Characters: 10/10 
Plot: 10/10
Originality: 10/10 
Entertainment: 10/10 
Ending: 10/10 
Writing Style: 10/10 
Cover: 10/10
Total: 10/10






 


 

4 comments:

Kirthi said...

Wow! Judging from the great review, I think I need to get off my butt and go check out Jekel Loves Hyde. Nice post!

Maria said...

Awesome review! I've heard so many mixed things about this one, so I was not completely sure if I should read it, but you definitely convinced me! Thanks :)

the story siren said...

wasn't this book great! it was a lot different then i thought it would be! wow! loved your review!

Kris (Voracious YAppetite) said...

I just finished reading a review on her first book. Sounds like I'm going to have to check this author out. Thanks for the recommendation and the thorough review.