Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Review: Sea Change by. Aimee Friedman

Title: Sea Change
Author: Aimee Friedman
Publication Date: June 2009
Pages: 290 
Genre: Romance
Rating: 6/10

Synopsis from Goodreads: 16-year-old Miranda Merchant is great at science...and not so great with boys. After major drama with her boyfriend and (now ex) best friend, she's happy to spend the summer on small, mysterious Selkie Island, helping her mother sort out her late grandmother's estate. There, Miranda finds new friends and an island with a mysterious, mystical history, presenting her with facts her logical, scientific mind can't make sense of. She also meets Leo, who challenges everything she thought she knew about boys, friendship...and reality. Is Leo hiding something? Or is he something that she never could have imagined?
Review: I was really really looking forward to reading this book the first time it came out. The whole mermaids and mermen idea has been explored so little in YA that I was hungry to see what this book had to offer to the genre. I was expecting a very interesting mermaid love story with a little bit of mystery from this book. It delivered a little more on romance, not so much the mermaid aspect I was pining for.

You know you just read a good book when in the end you either had most of your questions solved from the book, or the author leaves you with one or two burning questions that you just have to decide for on your own. Either way, you are left satisfied at the end. Sea Change, for me, was not that book. I think what really did it for me was the end. It seemed like throughout the book the evidence of a mermaid and the mystery of 'are they or aren't they' kept on building up that in the end I expected an answer. What was unexplained in the beginning stayed unexplained till the end. I guess you could say that part was left to the reader to decide, but to me that sort of made the rest of the book built up to a dead plot. This book to me was just a large question mark.

The romance in this book was okay. Miranda was torn between two guys. Or actually being torn between the guy she was "supposed" to like and the one she actually wanted. Leo pretty much represented the hot beachy really smart says-all-the-right-things kind of guy with the one flaw the girl is set to unravel: the secret. There was spark and some good moments, and that was it.

Overall this book was okay. I expected a lot more. In my opinion is great if you are looking for a light quick read!


Overall: 6/10 

Characters: 7/10 
Plot: 7/10
Originality: 6/10 
Entertainment: 6/10 
Ending: 6/10 
Writing Style: 7/10 
Cover: 10/10- this cover is amazingly beautiful!

1 comments:

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

I actually really enjoyed this book, but I hated the end. I felt it was way, way too abrupt. Great honest review! :)