Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Review: Sloppy Firsts by. Megan McCafferty

Title: Sloppy Firsts
Author: Megan McCafferty
Publication Date: August 28, 2001
Pages: 280
Genre: Contemporary
Rating: 8/10

 Synopsis from Goodreads: “My parents suck ass. Banning me from the phone and restricting my computer privileges are the most tyrannical parental gestures I can think of. Don’t they realize that Hope’s the only one who keeps me sane? . . . I don’t see how things could get any worse.” When her best friend, Hope Weaver, moves away from Pineville, New Jersey, hyperobservant sixteen-year-old Jessica Darling is devastated. A fish out of water at school and a stranger at home, Jessica feels more lost than ever now that the only person with whom she could really communicate has gone. How is she supposed to deal with the boy- and shopping-crazy girls at school, her dad’s obsession with her track meets, her mother salivating over big sister Bethany’s lavish wedding, and her nonexistent love life?

Review: Few contemporary YA novels can hold my attention long, and I am glad to say this book definitely makes my top 10 YA contemporary books list. It was fun, attention holding, and REAL.

I have to admit, the first few pages of  the book were a little slow getting into, but once all of the characters are introduced the story really starts to pick up. Jessica's best friend has just moved away and now she is stuck with pretty much no one. Until an unusual junkie (I used the term loosely...kind of) starts to take an interest in her and get her mind off her best friend. I can see how many people might see Jessica's character as annoying. She is headstrong, and very opinionated, and somewhat judgmental, but hey, she has a personality that adds something fun to the book when reading it from her perspective. And at least she has a distinguishable personality.

Jessica and Marcus. Marcus and Jessica. Imagine the top of you class and the lowest of your class together, and that is the what we have with Jessica and Marcus. But Marcus isn't all drugs and girls, he actually has a deeper side that has got Jessica all muddled up. Jessica is so much fun to read about when it comes to her deciphering her interest in Marcus, everything seems so calculated but at the same time she has no idea what she is doing, which makes it much more fun. And she is definitely take no prisoners when it comes to who she wants, or think she wants, or should not but really does want when it comes to Marcus. She's doesn't want to be another name on his list.

I really liked the way the book ended. I feel like if it was any other character besides Jessica, it would have been a lot different and their wouldn't be a need for a sequel for this book. But I am really glad there is, I look forward to seeing what else Jessica has to deal with in high school.

Recommendations: Calling all fans of contemporary novels, this ones for you!!!


Overall: 8/10

Characters: 10/10 
Plot: 8/10
Originality:7/10 
Entertainment: 9/10 
Ending: 9/10 
Writing Style: 8/10
Cover:  7/10
 

0 comments: