Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Review: So Much Closer by. Susane Colasanti

TitleSo Much Closer
Author: Susane Colasanti
Age Range: Young Adult
Publication Date:
May 3, 2011
Pages: 241
Genre: Contemporary/Romance
Rating:   

Synopsis from Goodreads: When Brooke's crush, Scott, moves from their suburban town to New York City, she decides to follow him there. Living with her formerly estranged dad and adapting to a new school are challenging, and things go from bad to worse when Brooke learns that Scott already has a girlfriend. But as she builds her new life, Brooke begins to discover a side of herself she never knew existed. And as she finds out, in the city that never sleeps, love can appear around any corner... 


Review: Funny, quirky, and cute in true Susane Colasanti fashion So Much Closer provides inside look into the girl psyche when it comes to a favorite subject of mine: guys. All of the extremes you have ever thought about going through when it comes to "getting the guy" pale in comparison to what Brooke decides to do. Though not my favorite Susance Colasanti book, it was still a light and fun read.

Not many girls would move cities their senior year of high school just to be with a hot guy. I mean you may have thought about it, but Brooke seems to be the only girl who would ever go through with it. I mean, you can't say anything about her lack of determination. Though in most people this characteristics would prove positive, in Brooke it definitely proved to be her destruction.

Unrequited ( or requited) love can always prove to have some detrimental effects on a a teenage psyche, but Brooke seems to take this to a whole 'nother level. I was just so surprised by the level of devotion (or obsession) she had with a guy whom she never really ever spoke too, yet had convinced herself that he was her soul mate. I can't really say that I liked Brooke much throughout the book. She seemed sort of ungrateful. And of course in some areas she deserved to be a little angry, but there were a lot of people that she really needed to cut some slack and not take for granted. I do think that by the end of the book she got over herself and I began to like her a lot more.

John by far was my favorite character. It is so great to read about a guy who doesn't fit the typical guy stereotype in books. By that I mean he wasn't a man of few words by any means. He spoke so unrestrictedly and confidently that I found myself looking forward to paragraphs and paragraphs of his ranty dialogue.

All in all this was a fun and light read but at points I found myself wanting to flip the pages a little quicker.

Recommendations: If you are looking for a light and different kind of contemporary romance, this might just be for you!


Overall: 3/5 Stars

Characters: 3/5
Plot: 2/5
Originality: 3/5
Entertainment: 3/5
Ending: 3/5
Writing Style: 3/5
Cover: 3/5


If you like this, check out Take Me There by Susane Colasanti: 

1 comments:

Chey said...

I don't plan on reading this book from Susane. It just doesn't appeal to me although I did enjoy her other book, When it Happens. Thanks for the review! :)