Friday, August 13, 2010

Currently Reading: Moby Dick by. Herman Melville

 

153747Moby-Dick, the white whale: emblem of nature yet unnaturally pale, tender and violent, god and demon, an enigma to which Ahab is bound by ropes of vengeful obsession. The Pequod: whaler out of Nantucket, with its polyglot world crew bound upon a voyage for spermwhale, a ship of the damned driven by its ungodly captain to the edge of the void. Ishmael: named for a Biblical outcast, narrator, masthead philosopher, sole survivor.

Currently, my summer is coming to an end. I can tell by how my summer homework seems to be much much more than it was when I saw it at the beginning of the summer. Part of my AP English Composition summer homework is to read Moby Dick which is what I am currently doing. And to my immense surprise it is going pretty good. Though I am not even 1/3 of the way through the book it is still going better then expected. And it has cannibals, yes cannibals. I am fascinated yet disturbed, creeped out yet intrigued, (doesn’t that tell a whole lot about my personality?) just take a gander at this excerpt:

“I then asked Queequeg whether he himself was ever troubled with dyspepsia… he then began to tell me of a time..it was a great  feast given by his father the king, on gaining a great battle wherein fifty of the enemy had been killed by about 2 o’clock, and all cooked and eaten that very evening…

he told me that it was custom, when a great battle had been gained there, to barbecue all the slain in the yard or garden of the victor…”

My favorite quotes of the entire book by far. Interesting, very very interesting. Can’t wait to get on with that essay!

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I couldn't believe how funny that book was when I started it. I'd always gotten the impression that it was a difficult, stuffy read, so the first chapter blew me away.Hope you're enjoying it!

Dominique said...

nice review! :) this definitely sounds like a good book!

I also have an award for you over @ my blog: http://the-book-vault.blogspot.com/2010/08/new-award.html
congrats! :D