Sunday, August 1, 2010

Review: Shiver by. Maggie Stiefvater

Title: Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1)  
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Age Range: 14+
Publication Date: August 1, 2009 Scholastic 
Pages: 392
Genre: Paranormal, Romance
Rating: 10/10
Synopsis from Goodreads: For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human ... until the cold makes him shift back again. Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.

Initial Reaction: "Let's see if this book will live up to all the hype."
End Reaction: "Now that's a romance done right! I loved the ending, I didn't think it needed a sequel though, hope's its as good."

Review: Usually I am more than a little hesitant to read a book that has received nothing but the best reviews. I was especially hoping that Shiver would live up to the hype, and that it did. Engaging romance, and a unique pretense surrounding the werewolves make for a great combination in this fascinating novel.

When I look back at this book, the one thing I remember most is, of course, the romance. It was just beautiful. Even though the romance did start early in the book, and it may have seen a little sudden, it worked out perfectly. Once you read the prologue and the emotions that went between Grace and Sam even before Grace even knew that Sam was a human being, you can tell that the love between them is so real. I can't even describe how intense to me it was. And to go through the whole book not knowing whether this romance could last between the two of them made me so eager to get to the end to see what happens, at the same time wanting the book to last forever!

The struggle in this book is what really gave it something extra than just the romance which could have stood on its own anyway. There was the time restraint the characters were constantly on. Not just Grace and Sam but the other supporting characters. Grace and Sam are fighting to fit in all the time they can together and say all they want to say within one season WHILE dealing with Sam's restrictions and a renegade werewolf threatening what may be the only winter Sam and Grace may have together. 

This book was incredibly. The reviews said it was one of the best books of the year, and it still surpassed my expectations. Even though I loved the ending of Shiver and didn't think a sequel was needed (just because I don't want it to spoil the ending of Shiver), I am still awaiting the day I finally get to read Linger.

Recommendations: I recommend this book to paranormal, romance, and werewolf fanatics everywhere! 


Overall: 10/10 

Characters: 10/10 
Plot: 10/10
Originality: 10/10 
Entertainment: 10/10 
Ending: 10/10 
Writing Style: 10/10 
Cover: 10/10

5 comments:

Jan von Harz said...

I am with you on being leery of reading a book that has gotten so much hype and found Shiver was a great read too. I was however a bit disappointed with Linger, but that often happens with the next book in a series. Still it was good but I hated the ending because now I will have to red the third one when it comes out.

Hannah S. said...

Ooh, a perfect 10/10? You really enjoyed this one!
I agree about how the romance seemed a bit sudden, but then, Sam is impossibly incredible. Who wouldn't fall in love with him like that? *snaps finger to demonstrate "like that"*
Thanks for the awesome review!

Love, Hannah

The Insouciant Sophisticate said...

I know what you mean about the hype over books but I'm glad that this surpassed your expectations! Hope you get to read Linger soon.

Unknown said...

I loved this book! It is one of my favorites. Great review :)

Danielle Zappavigna said...

i keep reading great things about this one, and your review makes me want to buy it NOW! you really sold me on the romance angle :-)