Saturday, February 6, 2010

Review: Captivate by. Carrie Jones

Title: Captivate                                                            Author: Carrie Jones
Age Range: 12+
Publication Date: January 5th 2010
Pages: 273
Genre: Paranormal, Romance
Rating: 9/10


Synopsis from goodreads: Zara and her friends knew they hadn't solved the pixie problem for good. Far from it. The king's needs grow deeper every day he's stuck in captivity, while his control over his people gets weaker. It's made him vulnerable. And now there's a new king in town.

A turf war is imminent, since the new pixie king, Astley, is moving in quickly. Nick nearly killed him in the woods on day one, but Zara came to his rescue. Astley swears that he and Zara are destined to be together, that he's one of the good guys. Nick isn't buying it, though Zara isn't as sure -- despite herself, she wants to trust the new king. But it's a lot more than her relationship with Nick that is at stake. It's her life -- and his. 



Review: Captivate is a remarkable book, as a sequal to Need, I have to say the second surpassed the first,  leaving me even more excited about what else is comimg up in the series. Romantic, suspensful, and captivating (pun-intended), Captivate is a must read sequal that takes readers more into the faerie realm introduced in the first book and into the minds of new and old characters leaving you needing (another intended pun) more!!!

Zara, the spunky main character who has just recently lost her step-father, learned she is part faerie, and found out her real father is a faerie King that has been preying on little boys, is one of the many characters I fell back in love with after the months between reading Need and Captivate. In my opinion, Zara grew more as a character than anyone else in the book,  and that made me love the book so much more. From the naive girl in the first book (remember- the girl who runs towards the unnatural voice in the woods in the middle of the night calling her name), to an incredibly strong leading character who isn't afraid of taking risks and plunging into danger for the sake of those she loves. Watch out Rose (Vampire Academy) Zara's now in the running for my favorite leading character!!!

Nick, Issie, and Devyn also grow in this book. Issie is still the loveable best friend who would still do whatever it is to help her supernatural friends even if she isnt exactly sure what she is doing. I stilled loved Devyn, I jumped up and down when he finally got out of his wheelchair, but then sat immediately back down when I realized it wasn't Issie he was sharing this special moment with. I mean gosh, Devyn is the eptiome of how clueless guys really get. All through the book I was yelling at him "How can you do that to loveable Issie?". And Nick is still the overprotective "hero guy" he feels he needs to be throughout the book.

Where do I start with this plot? So much is going on. Escapes, new Kings, a developing love triangle, transformations, discoveries, and so many near death experiences, and the new King Astley is at the center of it all. To be honest, I really didn't like him at all. Not only because he threatened my beloved Nick's place in Zara's heart, but because he seems so fake. Everything he said seemed to be totally ingenuine, and just for the sake of getting on Zara's good side. It was annoying. Every chapter brings a new faerie tip, and shocking gasps making you want to change pages even faster!!!

The ending was the perfect setup for the next book. Though some might think it was just a way to guarantee readers buy the next book, I don't think of it like that at all. I am even more eager for the next book in this series than I was for the second, and I expect it to be just as great in every way!!!


I Recommend: I recommend this book to all lovers of paranormal romances, lovers of the first book, fae, love triangles, and a book that you will definately not be able to put down!!!


Characters: 9/10
Plot: 9/10
Originality: 9/10
Entertainment: 10/10
Ending: 10/10
Writing Style: 9/10
Cover: 10/10
Total: 9/10




 

1 comments:

j said...

Great review! I haven't read Need or Captivate yet, but I really want to! I am a big fan of paranormal romance :)

Love your blog! Just found it.