Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Review: I am the Messenger by. Markus Zusak

 


Title: I am the Messenger                        Author: Markus Zusak
Age Range: 15+
Publication Date: May 9th 2006
Pages: 357
Genre: Fiction
Rating: 10 /10

Synopsis: protect the diamonds
survive the clubs
dig deep through the spades
feel the hearts

Ed Kennedy is an underage cabdriver without much of a future. He's pathetic at playing cards, hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey, and utterly devoted to his coffee-drinking dog, the Doorman. His life is one of peaceful routine and incompetence until he inadvertently stops a bank robbery.

That's when the first ace arrives in the mail.

That's when Ed becomes the messenger.

Chosen to care, he makes his way through town helping and hurting (when necessary) until only one question remains: Who's behind Ed's mission?
A 2005 Michael L. Printz Honor Book and recipient of five starred reviews, I Am the Messenger is a cryptic journey filled with laughter, fists, and love.
 

Review: I doubt I will be able to do this book justice with this review but I will try. I am the Messenger has to be the best book I have every read. Anyways everything about this book was great and engaging and completely hypnotizing!!!

Markus will forever be one of my favorite characters every. You can't help but love him. He feels as if there is nothing special about him. Like he has no place in the world, as if everybody else has a reason they were put on this earth, except him, and I think all of us can relate to that feeling. But then he starts recieving this Ace's in the mail with names and addresses and there is some problem he has to fix for each of them. The impact he has on each of the lives of his missions and on himself as he finishes each card is so completely touching and impacting. You'll gasp, you'll awe, you'll cry, you'll laugh, and you'll spend 10 minutesd trying to let the whole book sink in before turn the book write over and read it all over again, Trust Me!!!

In about one week Markus has to gone from normal everyday loser (as he proclaims himself) to reluctant hero. His life turns completely upsidedown in such a short period time, and he handles having to be a hero very well dispite the physical and emotional damage it puts him in. One of my favorite parts of this book was the romance. It was sort of a that sad romance that you hope all the way through will sort of turn out with a happy ending. You'll have to read to find out whether or not it came true!!! 

I loved loved loved loved I can't say it enough loved this book. Every single part of this book and every single character no matter how small pulls you more and more. Markus Zusak has a way to pull you completely into the lives and emotions of every single character, making them all unforgetable. The ending was beyond great. It couldn't have been better. Even though I nearly wanted to cry when it ended im perfectly glad with the way it did. I reccomend this book to everyone in the world. Whether you like to read or not, no matter your prefered genre if you are of or close enough to the human species, you must read this book. It has everything I would look for a great read!!!

Characters: 10/10
Plot: 10/10
Originality: 10/10
Entertainment: 10/10
Ending: 10/10
Writing Style: 10/10
Cover: 10/10
Total: 10/10

                           

5 comments:

Eleni said...

Great review, I enjoyed this book too!

Bookalicious Ramblings said...

Wow, what a great review! I loved The Book Thief so I'll probably give this a try too!

Danielle Zappavigna said...

i'm so glad to read in your review that you loved it, this book is on my list for the Aussie Author Challenge, can't wait to read it. Definately recommend The Book Thief if you haven't read it yet.

Kirthi said...

Oh wow! a 10/10 for everything? I definitely got to check this out!

YA Book Queen said...

Okay, this sounds AWESOME! Yeah, capital letter-worthy.

Great review!:)