Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Review: Cinderella, Ninja Warrior by. Maureen McGowan



Title: Cinderella, Ninja Warrior
Author: Maureen McGowan
Publication Date: April 1, 2011
Pages: 320 
Genre: Paranormal
Rating:  

Synopsis from Goodreads: In this fast-paced story full of adventure and romance, Cinderella is more than just a servant girl waiting for her prince—she's a tough, fearless girl who is capable of taking charge of a dangerous situation. Seeking to escape the clutches of her evil stepmother, Cinderella perfects her ninja skills and magic talents in secret, waiting for the day when she can break free and live happily ever after. In a special twist, readers have the opportunity to make key decisions for Cinderella and decide where she goes next—but no matter the choice; the result is a story unlike any fairy tale you've ever read! 

Review: Cinderella Ninja Warrior is definitely what I call an incredible modern take on a fairy tale. I was engaged the whole time, and even though I know the story Cinderella and it is the basis of this book, that did not take away from the fact that this book is 100% original.

This book was a lot different from Maureen's other "pick your plot" book Sleeping Beauty, Vampire Slayer. The Cinderella plot of this book was evident but with the wizard and magical parts thrown in also, it created a much more intricate plot. There's the evil stepsisters we know and hate, and there's also a missing very powerful wizarding wand that is nowhere to be found. And of course a local "messenger boy" whom has his eye on a certain main character.

When I say the characters make the book, I really mean it. I loved the characters in this book. Not so much the evil step siblings and stepmother, but Ty and Cinderella really made the book for me. Everything between them seemed so natural. I mean there is a way to be charming and not make it seem like its some kind of player's act, and Ty does so very well in this book. I mean how could Cinderella not fall for him. He was just so gentlemanly without being too formal or boring, and he also had some wit to him that just makes him all the more of a great male character.

As with Maureen's book Sleeping Beauty: Vampire Slayer, this one is also a "pick your plot" book and for some reason I loved it in this book so much more. I felt like even though I was making the decision for the book while reading, I didn't feel like I was losing the character in my decisions if that make sense. It was so much fun in this book because the romance was a bigger role, you got to make the decisions on how Cinderella and Ty went about their encounters. Because of this book, I think I am definitely going to be on the look out for more "pick you plot" kinds of books. I can still remember the instances where I was like contemplating for minutes over which route I should take. And then when I finished the book I went and took all the routes that I didn't choose. And it was just as much fun the second time around!

I definitely think this was an incredible "remake" of a classic fairy tale. It was engaging and fun to read, and the romance was incredibly sweet and believable. All in all, a very exciting book.


Recommendations:I definitely recommend this book to all to try out their first or maybe just another "pick your plot" kind of book. It is a very fun change of pace!


Overall: 4/5

Characters: 4/5
Plot: 4/5
Originality: 3/5
Entertainment: 4/5
Ending: 4/5
Writing Style: 4/5
Cover: 4/5
 

0 comments: