Monday, April 4, 2011

Monday's Question of the Day: Female vs. Male Perspective


Do you prefer Female or Male Perspective?

I am really 50 50 on this one. I mean a large large majority (95%) of the books I read are written from a female point of view (with the exception of the books that are written in both perspectives). And its not like perspective is really something that is going to make me choose one book over another but I think there is just something different about reading a book from a girls POV. Maybe its because I feel like I can relate more to the characters, but I sort of think it is because (this is just my opinion of course) girls in general have a very different way of seeing certain topics and adjusting their heads accordingly to different situations (if that makes sense?). The way a girl would see a situation in a book can be a 180 degree turn from the way a guy would see it. I mean I have yet to even come close to deciphering the male mind and though great books like Beautiful Creatures that are written in male POV makes me want to check out some more books like that, books with a a girls POV have me questioning the judgment of the character a little less since I guess I "know where they are coming from". The female mind spectrum is light-years away from the males, but really I think I like both perspectives equally...almost!

What do you guys think about the two perspectives? Do you have a preference, or are you indifferent to the whole discussion lol? Let us know!!!  
 

3 comments:

Ann Summerville said...

Interesting question. I think it depends on what I'm in the mood for. A woman's POV is going to be more in depth. Guys not so much. I do like Harlan Coben's character Myron Bolitar and also Miles Roby in Empire Falls but I mostly like female POV.
Ann

Kate said...

To be honest I haven't read too many books from the guy's perspective but that isn't because I don't like it but rather there aren't as many of those books out there. The few that I have read, I did find interesting. - Kate

We Heart YA said...

Ditto what Kate said. Some good ones, for those who ARE interested, are FLASH BURNOUT by LK Madigan and THE CARDTURNER by Louis Sachar. I think Gayle Forman's new one, WHERE SHE WENT -- sequel to the beautiful IF I STAY -- is told from Adam's POV, too.

Great question!